Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 27/28: Check out my Grills

The 27th and 28th lesson focused on grilling! There is 1 grill in the class room. In addition we used grilling pans that are placed over the stove and heated by the flames. My best friends gave me a gift certificate to an amazing cooking store so I am thinking of buying my own grill pan for my apartment after being inspired by this amazing day.

To grill properly, you marinate the meat, pat it dry (to avoid flame flare ups), and cook it on a 90 degree angle. Then you rotate it 90 degrees, to form an X on the item. Then you flip it and repeat the process. The lines look pretty and carry a lot of the flavor.

Grilled Shrimp Brochette- Everyone reading this blog should make this!!! It is so simple, healthy, and pretty. Using a sprig of rosemary as your skewer, you stick shrimp, bay leaves, and tomatoes on the skewer and then brush it with a marinade-in this case we used garlic, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. During the grilling process the flavor from the rosemary sprig gets infused into the shrimp and tomatoes giving it an amazing flavor. It is also really pretty once plated.



Grilled Salmon Tranche- I am still getting used to salmon, but I can say it is better then I ever would have thought. As my parents read this they will most likely be elated since they have been trying to get me to eat fish for my whole life. Mom and dad: its official, I eat fish.


Grilled pork chops with Roasted poblano and cactus salad-this is a Mexican dish that has a ton of flavor. First we made a brine for the pork chops, and then marinated in a chili based paste. We had to wear gloves when preparing it to avoid burning out hands so I was nervous to try it but it actually came out a lot more mild once cooked through. Ironically, the steward department forgot to bring us cactus for the cactus salad so we made cactus salad sans cactus, but with tomatillas. This is another dish that I will make again soon. We roasted green peppers and mixed them with chopped tomatillas, red onion, cilantro, garlic, tomato, lime juice and salt and pepper-YUM.


Lastly we made Grilled Lamb Loin Chops with Mojo, a Cuban sauce. We also made a ton of grilled vegetables to be served with all of the meats.

1 comment:

  1. It's official...we're happy you're finally eating fish...it took you long enough!!!

    ReplyDelete